Monday, June 23, 2008

Here we go...

Our little girl is leaving us and is being replaced by an older, more mature young woman. I'm kind of feeling some sadness... a little sentimental I guess. Jillienne turns 12 today. Yesterday she finished her Faith in God program and her last Sunday in Primary. Tuesday she will officially be finished with 6th grade. Wednesday she will attend her first Young Women activity. No longer is she a little girl. And you know what? She's ready. I think I am too, although at this moment I want her to go back and be a little girl again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Every time my first born enters a new stage of life, I end up weeping. Excited for her and nervous for her.



Jillienne...
1. still likes to go by "Jillie". I wondered if she'd still use this nickname at this point in her life.
2. got her own cell phone this weekend and went to the movies with a friend- no grown ups!
3. has recently finished the Red Cross Babysitters Course.
4. still like to have some time alone at bedtime with me and/or Greg.
5. loves, loves shoes!
6. prefers a turkey sandwich to pizza.
7. has an amazing memory.
8. has many talents which include singing, public speaking and memorizing facts.
9. is very careful to find friends that share similar standards.
10. is offended if a friend or teacher or anyone on TV/movies takes the Lord's name in vain.
11. She gets upset if we say "gosh" because she thinks it's too close. She has trained us to say, "Oh my goodness" or "Oh my word".
12. She is a beautiful girl who cares about everyone around her. She's worked hard to become the responsible young woman she is today.
We love you Jillie!

14 comments:

Shannon said...

Make me cry why don't you? :) It is hard to believe how quickly she is growing up. She is amazing and will be a fun and beautiful YW. A cell phone? Yeah for you Jillie! Happy birthday!

Sunny said...

Happy Birthday Jillie!!! I'm so excited that you are in Young Womens! We just think you are GREAT! I hope you have a happy day!

Greg Garrick said...

Happy birthday sweetheart. Sorry I'm in NYC on your happy day. These past 12 years have been the best of my life, you are a great young woman and I'm so proud to be your dad. I love you very much!

Michelle Cherrington said...

Happy Birthday Jillie!! She has definitely grown into a beautiful, now official "young woman." It's fun looking at all the cute pictures of her. Hope you have a very happy day!

Abby said...

Happy Birthday Jillie! You sure have turned into an amazing and beautiful young women!

Angie said...

Oh WOW!!!! Happy Birthday Jillie!!! I would so hire you to watch Owen now, you're even old enough. I hope you love Young Women's as I'm sure you will and I agree with your mom that you are a wonderful young person!!!

Nikki, I loved all the pictures, especially of the clothes and hairstyles!!! Very fun!

Beth Soelberg said...

Jillie sounds very much like someone I'd like to get to know!

Happy Birthday!

Dave said...

Happy 12th, dear Jillie. You are an amazing young lady. You've come a long way in these last 12, fast years. It seems only yesterday that our first grandchild was born. You're setting a great pace for the rest! We so love you (and the rest of our grandchildren)!

Holly said...

Hurray to my little twin! :) I think you and Jaleigh are sisters because you look so much alike. I guess cousins will have to do! :) Happy birthday and welcome to your busy years. Give us a call on your cell phone so we will have your tele nimber. Oh- and I would just like to say sorry for the pink overall shorts I got for you on your 3rd (I think) birthday. I hope you will never be that disturbed by a present again! :)

Great post Nikki! It is crazy thinking about all those years and then they seem like yesterday. Can't wait to see you all!

Holly said...

Oh and Congratulations on getting your faith in god award! That is a big deal! Get ready for PERSONAL PROGRESS!!!

Holly said...

Ok- I just tied Sunny... HA!!!!

Caity said...

Oh my! I don't know what I'll do when Emma goes to YW and is not a little girl anymore! I even get sad packing up clothes she grows out of!

She sounds like an amazing girl! I will be happy if Emma is like her when Emma is 12.

Leanne said...

They grow up soooo fast! Happy birthday Jillie! I remember when my own Jilly turned 12. It's a big big deal ya know! I hope Jillie enjoys her new YW experience. Like Holly said, PP is replacing the Faith in God. There are so many fun and spiritual goals to be worked on and achieved. It's the best part of YW in my opinion. Yay!

Carolyn said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jillie! So proud of you and your accomplishments! Keep it up!