Saturday, November 8, 2008

My 100

It seems there is a tradition out there in the blogosphere. When you have your first birthday as a blogger or the 1st anniversary as a blogger, you write a list of 100 things about yourself. Well, it's my birthday today and my blogger-versary tomorrow. Take it or leave it, interesting or lame... I give you my 100 list:

1. My favorite colors are blue and green.
2. I have 2 sisters and they are my closest friends. I always wished I had an older brother.
3. My sister Holly and I have been asked if we were twins, or if she is the older sister.
4. My sister Sunny looks just like us too just in a different color scheme (blond hair, blue eyed)- and she the skinny one.
(Me, Holly, Sunny)

5. I went to an "accelerated" school 7th- 9th grade... and a "normal" high school 10th-12th.
6. I was more prepared for college after 9th grade than I was after 12th grade.
7. I graduated from Brigham Young University in Elementary Education.
8. I met my husband during my 2nd year of college and married him after my 3rd year.
9. I married Greg for time and all eternity in the LDS Los Angeles Temple in May 1992. 10. My husband is a hottie.
11. I have lived in Michigan, Utah, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, and New York.
12. I moved twice before college. Once when I was 6 months old and then about 5 miles away from that home when I was 14.
13. Since we got married and moved into our first apartment together, we've moved 10 times.
14. I don't like moving, but I'm getting used to it.
15. I always mistype the words and, the, and for- they usually end up like this: adn, teh & fro.
16. I love most types of music...especially songs I can sing along with.
17. My favorite singer is Harry Connick, Jr. and I have all of his albums.
18. I got engaged to the song "Unforgettable" by Natalie Cole
19. I like watching musicals.
20. Directing music is fun, but I've only lead congregations, never a choir.
21. I like being the member of a choir.
22. I often feel intimidated by people who are very tall- regardless of who they are or how old they are.
23. I wish perms would come back in style because it was so much easier to do my hair in the 80's.
24. I want everyone to like me.
25. I thinks it is great to catch up with old friends and see where life has taken them.
26. I really don't like cooking.
27. I really, really don't like planning meals.
28. I enjoy decorating birthday cakes for my kids.
29. I am on the internet multiple times every day.
30. I do not like clothes shopping for myself.
31. When I do buy clothes they are usually from Old Navy or Ann Taylor Loft.
32. I wear jeans pretty much every day.
33. I do not wear jewelry- except for my wedding ring (and occasionally a necklace or bracelet on a Sunday)
34. I love the smell of lilacs.
35. I enjoy taking pictures and videos to document our lives.
36. I enjoy blogging to put the story together with the pictures.
37. I wish I knew how to maintain our computers and fix them when they are slow or give me error messages.
38. I wish I craved fruits and vegetables like I do sugars and breads. (I like fruits and vegetables- I just don't think of them first when I want a quick snack.)
39. I wish I was naturally thin.
40. I've struggled with my body image for as long as I can remember.
41. I wish there were some form of exercise that I enjoyed and craved.
42. I married into a family of beautiful people- and have felt insecure in the past due to everyone's good looks and style. (I should clarify that this is self imposed insecurity)
43. I'm getting better at feeling OK about me and as a result feeling less insecure.
44. I had oral surgery when I was 15 to correct an under bite and was wired shut for a month
45. I had plastic surgery on my chin as a part of that oral surgery.

(look at how secure I am now- posting these pictures of me the day after surgery and a week after surgery)

46. I am a night person. I've been known to stay up til 5am to get stuff done- cleaning, packing, projects... whatever needs to get done in an uninterrupted chunk of time.
47. I am not very coordinated in the morning.
48. I used to read A LOT when I was a kid. I don't find that much undisturbed time for it now... and if I do I get too sleepy while reading.
49. I like to create and do things with my hands and my computer.
50. I am a copier/borrower/idea stealer, but usually can put my own personal twist on it.
51. I love a clean and organized home. Someday mine will be that way for more than a half a day. I'm resigned to the fact that for now, just getting the main floor picked up each day has to be enough.
52. I am awful at getting our bathrooms cleaned very often.
53. I enjoy TV and watch most shows on DVR, not when they are actually on.
54. I have seriously burned my face and back by sitting in front of my mom's old sunlamp for way too long.
55. Someday I want to serve a mission with Greg for our church.
56. My faith is the most important part of my life. My testimony of Jesus Christ brings me joy, peace, understanding and knowledge. I love my religion.57. I don't understand how some people do not think that their eternal salvation is a priority-more important than whatever else is going on in their lives and in the world...especially those who believe in God.
58. I want to do all I can to help our kids have a personal relationship with their Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ... so they don't have to rely on our testimonies but have their own.
59. I like having a calling (responsibility that we are asked to do) at church- even when it's a challenge (like my calling now as Relief Society Enrichment Counselor).
60. I can't be a flake with a calling and don't understand how other people can. That's just not acceptable.
61. I am very practical and low maintenance.
62. I'd rather get a practical gift like a kitchen gadget or cleaning tool than something frivolous like jewelry.
63. I do like getting a pedicure every once in a great while though. (my feet NEED it)
64. I haven't met a cake yet that I can resist (except maybe a tres leches cake).
65. I could eat goulash or homemade spaghetti sauce for every meal, every day for a week at least.
66. I love peanuts/peanut butter with chocolate.
67. In 2006 we took some family pictures that made me realize I needed to do something about my weight. I went to Weight Watchers and lost 40 lbs.
68. It's not easy keeping it off especially because of #41, #64, #65 and #66
69. I eat much lower fat foods now, the problem is that I still can eat a lot of it!
70. My favorite snacks now are Kashi Dark Chocolate Chip cookies or Healthy Pop popcorn.
71. I am a procrastinator. (see #46)
72. I'm hardly ever on time for anything.
73. I love children's literature.
74. I have my own collection of Children's literature that I'd love to grow -especially with books I remember reading like the Happy Hollisters. My mom gave away most of our books after we grew up. :(
75. My favorite children's author/illustrator is Chris Van Allsburg.
76. I hate that I use acne products AND anti aging products. Sheesh!
77. I have happy childhood memories of singing to ABBA and Bolero in the back of Dad's Capri with my sisters on our way up north.
78. I have happy childhood memories of singing and acting out Snoopy's Christmas with my aunt Tami.

79. My aunt Tami has been my best friend since I was born as she is 2 years and 11 months older than me. We used to spend countless hours- even days and weeks together.

(Tami and I)
80. My favorite church calling was serving as Primary President because Tami was one of my counselors and I learned so much from her.
81. My parents are amazing examples of how to live my life right.
82. I am a good listener.
83. I hate confrontation.
84. When I am alone in my car I either listen to talk radio or music if I can find songs I can sing along with.
85. If I'm going to sing along it has to pretty much be from the 70s, 80s or something currently playing on Radio Disney. (I'm not up on the latest popular music.)
86. I didn't grow up going to Disneyland like Greg did, but it's growing on me now that we go every year or two.
87. If I could have a super power it would be mind reading.
88. I am shy until I get to know someone. Then, if I feel like someone actually wants to hear what I have to say, look out because I'll talk their ear off.
89. I love thunderstorms, but not as much as I did when I was a kid. Now that I have kids, if the weather is really threatening, I spend much of the time watching the news to see where the storm is and when it will pass.
90. I have never been in an earthquake.
91. I fight crying around anyone anymore.
92. Once Holly made me laugh so hard while we were in a restaurant that I ended up bawling and had to run to the restroom to try to get control of the tears. It was so bizarre... and embarrassing.
93. I like to be in control of my emotions.
94. I never want to let anyone down and want to help anyone if there's any way I possibly can.
95. When I mentioned to Greg's family that I'd worked at McDonald's through high school, I was stunned at their expressions. I can still see Rick's jaw on the floor and look of horror on his face. Apparently white kids in LA don't work at McDonald's like they do in Michigan.
96. I only drink water.
97. I love living in a place that has 4 seasons because I love the beginning of each season. I'd be depressed to live somewhere that is warm year round.
98. I wish I could do math in my head like Greg can.
99. I like well lit rooms. It bugs me when room is too dark (although a couple of mine still are.)
100. I'm so lucky to have Greg as my husband- he loves me so much. He took me out last night for my birthday to a very nice restaurant on the lake. We laughed that our dinner last night cost as much as the dinner we had at Sundance the night we got engaged. Back then it was the same dollar amount as a weeks worth of groceries. Now- not even close! We easily spend 5 times that on groceries now. We've been together along time & it gets better all the time.

Today I could tell that my kids love me so much too.

(Jackson climbing up on my lap to help me blow out the candle.)

At bedtime Kobe came to me with out being prompted. He gave me a hug and said, "Happy Birthday Mommy."

Look what sweet Reagan spent her time making for me today.

Jillie made this amazing blog for me today...http://myrolemodel-jillie.blogspot.com/
Happy Birthday to me!


13 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Good job!

Happy blogoversary!

Abby said...

Nikki, I loved this post. I even learned things I didn't know about you!! I think you are so amazing and seriously one of the BEST Mom's I know! I just want you to know you are such a great example to me.

and a little side note... I worked at McDonald's too :)

Happy Blogoversary!

Shannon said...

Loved this post Nik! Happy birthday and blogoversary!!
I think I knew pretty much all that about you I am happy to say. Though I never knew that you felt insecure around us. It is funny to me cause I have always had my own body image and self esteem issues and have felt insecure around you :) You are and always have been an inspiration to me. You were my first sister and also introduced me to Holly who I still love and miss to this day.
And I LOVE that Greg has always loved and treated you soo well. You guys are the best! Love you Nik!

Holly said...

OH that PICTURE!!! You would not let ANYONE see that picture of you after the surgery. Now you have it out there for the world! :) Good for you.

What a great 100 list. I will never have a 100 list because I have started one too many times and I can only think of three things. Then I realize I don't want to share those 3 things with the world... Crazy!

Awesome post! :) Happy Birthday too!

Angie said...

Ok, I loved loved the 100 list. I think that is a great tradition (I may or may not be doing it:)) It was so fun reading things about you. You are an amazing person and truly a wonderful example to everyone who knows you. I love what Jillie said about you. Someday I hope my children say such nice things!! We love you Nikki! And hope you see you on Saturday!

Beth Soelberg said...

Related to #92: Once Holly made me laugh so hard in a restaurant that I almost suffocated, and then she had to hold the stall door closed for me in the bathroom. Great story...

#96: I WISH I only drank water. I like water, but I like pop more. And hot cocoa, now that it's snowing. Oh, apple cider tastes good...but smoothies might be better??? It's a problem.

I love your 100, and it only shows what a great person you really are. Congratulations for paying your fast food dues - Andrea worked at the Burger King, I worked at a dry cleaners. (The chemicals never affected me.)

Jill said...

Great job on your 100 list Nikki! I love these lists and think it's therapeutic to make them. I keep a Word document of my list so I can keep adding to it so that I can add another 100 with each birthday (I'm up to 300 so far). It actually gets easier as time goes on and I become more comfortable with who I am and what I like.

I'm so curious about you laughing so hard that you started bawling, that sounds amusing/frightening. Ha.

I can relate to so many things on your list!

Michael said...

I showed Mom. She laughed at 78 and 79, and she said (and I quote), "Yeah, right," when she read 80. However, I believe that she enjoyed 95 the most. Darn Michigan White Trash (lol)!

Personally, I smirked at 5-6. To bad we're going down the drain :(.

Happy Blogoversary!! (and birthday, though I hear that that's less important to you 'older' folks.)

-ST

P.S.: To respond to your comment, things are going okay. Just below 20,000. Prologue up soon.

Dave said...

I like the picture of you three girls, it helps me think of you as adults instead of the little girls I so remember growing up at our house.
I still, and will always, love you all.

Andrea said...

After reading your list I see how much alike we are. Since I have been reading your blog I thought you would make a good big sister. Now I know why.

Robyn said...

It's fun to read all those things about you. THe one about working at McD's cracks me up. Hope you had a good birthday!

Caity said...

I'm sad I'm posting this late, but "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" That's a great list. Love it!

Michelle Cherrington said...

Great post Nikki!! You'll love having all those things written down someday. I learned a lot about you. :) The picture of you and your sisters is so good. You all look gorgeous!!