Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving '08 (52 Blessings #40)

We had a great day on Thanksgiving!
A holiday centered on feeling gratitude for all we have, a day to share those blessings with family and friends. The holiday of counting our blessings is a blessing in itself. Good friends, Good food, Good times. We enjoyed the day with the Lewis', the Brandt's and the elders serving in our ward. Guests arrived around 2pm and fun and feasting ensued until nearly 11pm! Here's some pictures of the day- thanks Angie B for grabbing my camera and getting some action shots!







The only sad part of the day was Jillie. She LOVES Thanksgiving food. The meal includes all of her favorites. But this year she hardly got to taste any of it. On Monday she got an orthodontic expander placed in her mouth. She really struggles to get food down since it gets stuck on the expander. She is pretty much on a liquid diet right now. Hopefully it'll be off before Christmas! We've already promised to make another Thanksgiving meal for her when the piece is finally removed. So she ate very little... and played in the chocolate fountain... and dreamed of a day when she can eat the things she loves.

9 comments:

wendo said...

Poor Jillie! That is terrible. It looks like you guys had a great time though! Is the orthdontic expander to widen her mouth? My husband had one of those and had to crank it himself to widen his jaw. He still proclaims it to be the worst pain of his life.

Shannon said...

Looks like a fun thanksgiving! Poor Jillie. I hope she gets to enjoy her own thanksgiving feast soon.

Dave said...

Wow, what a beautiful turkey, Nikki. Did you make that big (tall) pie too? I'm impressed.
I, too, feel sorry for Jillie - but you are one who can sympathize with her! Hopefully, it won't have to be on for much longer.
Another great Garrick party! yea!
ps - did anyone catch your cold?

Nikki said...

Wendi- yes, it is meant to expand her mouth and we have to crank it every night. Miserable. I hope she can get it off really soon.

Dad- Thanks, I think the turkey turned out well. I didn't make the pie, Angie bought it at some special bakery near ski country. She drove through a snow storm to get it because it was that good. So far I don't think anyone caught my cold {fingers crossed}

Michael said...

The purple lightsaber is the best lightsaber of all.

Ever.

:)

Happy Thanksgiving!
-ST

Leanne said...

Wow..what a feast! What a PIE! Looks like you all had fun. We enjoyed Thanksgiving with friends this year too. It was a nice change.

Did you freeze some food for Jillie to eat later? Of course fresh is always best when it comes to Thanksgiving feasts. I feel bad for her. Looks like she was able to eat some melted chocolate tho. Chocolate is always good!

tara @ kidz said...

Stopping by through Daily Scoop and I'm glad I did. Cute fam!!!

Angie said...

Oh that looks like such a fun holiday!!! And I LOVE Butterwood's Apple Carmel Pie!!! I'm assuming that's where she had to drive in the snow storm to get it. Well worth it though!!! That's a fun place to go for dessert too. So many reasons to miss Orchard Park!!!!

Caity said...

I feel your pain Jillian! I'm not allowed to eat anything I love either :( We'll get through it! Be tough!

Chocolate fountain? Mmmmmmm...I think that should be a part of my traditions next year. It looks like a fun-filled day!