Thursday, November 13, 2008

Giving Thanks

Recently Jillie read an O. Henry story at school and it reminded me how much I like O. Henry.  One of his stories,  The Last Leaf,  was made into a movie by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. I picked it up at the ward library to show for Family Home Evening. 
 
Did you know it stars Art Carney, Jane Kaczmarek, and Sydney Penny??  I'd forgotten that.  It's only on VHS and was made in 1983, so I wasn't sure how well the kids would like it.  I think they enjoyed it very much- although they thought it was a little sad.  

Then we talked about what kinds of service have others done for us, what service have we done for others and what great act of service did our Savior do for us.  We discussed how these things bless our lives.  

I encouraged everyone to think often about the blessings we have in our lives and to write them down.  We have a little tradition each November thanks to some inspiration from my good friend in Michigan Sarah R.   She does this with her family and I liked it so much, we do it now too.  Each year we have a poster up to record the things we're thankful for... everything from the gospel and our family to wii and grocery stores that are open 24 hours a day.


Since we've been away from family, I've also asked them to email us the things they are thankful for so we can print theirs up and add theirs to ours.  (And I'm asking you family members to do this again this year- leave your thankful lists in my comments if you don't mind) 
 
I like this tradition so much I keep the posters up in the basement stairwell all year.  Thanks Sarah!!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I love this idea! I will post my things on the family blog :)

Leanne said...

I loved this idea when I saw it last year too. We did it at my nieces house and I blogged about it. She still has it I believe. We will do it again this year, but I think I'll steal your idea about having family from far away give us their thankful lists and then post them onto a board. Good idea! Thanks Nik!

Jill said...

I don't think I've ever seen that movie, I should look into it and do this too.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I love this idea! We are in Thankful mode over here so this would be perfect to do for FHE. Thanks! You rock!

Laura said...

seriously nikki - you always have the best ideas!

looked like you were in charge of the nativity sets for enrichment - they look really cute and I signed up to make the little block ones for the kids. it said bring paint but I'm just sure what kind of paint to buy? do we have to draw on all the little figures too or do we just color them?

Nikki said...

Laura- the paint is just for the actual blocks, so any acrylic craft paint will do. The characters are actually stickers that we modge podge on after the block has been painted. EASY! :)
(Now if I can find someone willing to cut those blocks for us! :$)

Oh, and sorry about the loss last night. I thought Rian would be able to make that field goal and win the game. Bummer.

Michelle Alley said...

What a great and treasured idea! We've been away for while too, it's a great idea!

Caity said...

We've done this in my family since I was a kid! It's a great tradition! You're board is way cuter than ours ever are :) Somehow, that doesn't surprise me though.

Holly said...

Ok. Saroya is thankful for... "Teachers because they teach us. I am thankful for blankets because they keep us warm. I am thankful for water because it keeps us healthy. I am thankful for the earth because it gives us water, trees, flowers, food and seasons. I am thankful for electricity because you can watch TV and you have light."

More to come...