Friday, August 29, 2008

Grandpa

September 2001- Ethan and Jillie with Grandpa Streeter

My Grandpa left us today. I will miss him.
I remember:
*The BEST popcorn EVER made. Orville Redenbacher kernels popped up on the stove topped with real butter & salt in the big green flower painted bowl. (of course I go to the food first!)
*Homemade Root beer (sarsaparilla)
* Chili hot dogs from the Corner Bar
*Walks to the Rockford Dam
*His daily walks up to the corner store for a newspaper, soda, conversation and some pretzel rods
*Grandma calling him "Strut"
*Holding hands while kneeling in a circle for family prayers before bed
*Amazing immune system. He worked at the GM plant for 44 years and never took a sick day except for when his foot got smashed on the job.
*His amazing memory of the people and history of Rockford, MI. Even when his short term memory was failing him he remembered names and places from long, long ago!
*His deep, but gentle voice.
*"Whoop there!", "Look at that Pauline. Look at him go!", "Kirk the Turkey"
*His love of all Michigan sports teams, especially the Detroit Tigers.
*How he joked that the reason he enjoyed mowing their large yard was to "get away from the wife."
*How funny he was. He loved to sing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" in the car with us kids (Grandma not around) while out Christmas caroling.
*His love of singing.
Grandpa was getting speech therapy to help treat some difficulties he had swallowing. Singing was a part of that therapy. Here he is about 2 weeks ago. I love it!


I love him and I am so glad he is my Grandpa.
**Update: You can read is obituary here. We fly home Monday from SLC to repack and drive to MI. (Creating a slideshow along the way of the many pictures family have kindly scanned and emailed me.) Funeral is Wednesday and then drive back home so the kids can start school Thursday. May not be posting much this week! :)

12 comments:

Abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

I am so sorry for your loss Nik. Have a safe trip and please let your mom and family know that I am thinking of them.

Abby said...

What a sweet Grandpa! I'm sorry for your great loss Nikki.

Beth Soelberg said...

There's nothing like a good Grandpa.

I'm sorry that Grandpa Streeter isn't here, because I'd like to meet him, for one, and you'll all miss him, BUT of course he's happy and feeling young and fit now.

We'll be thinking of and praying for your family.

Sunny said...

Great Post Nik! Thank you so much for doing the slideshow. What would we do without you! YOU ARE AMAZING!! And thanks for visiting this last weekend. I haven't throw out the note yet but it's my to do list right now...I'll throw it out after...PROMISE!!!

Nikki said...

Very frugal of you Sun. ;)

Andrea said...

I am so sorry for your loss but glad that you got this last video of him. It makes me miss all of the grandmas and grandpas I used to take care of at the nursing home. It was always so wonderful when someone who was having trouble remembering was able to confidently sing words to well loved songs. Music is the first thing we understand as children and the last thing we lose as adults.

Leanne said...

Wow. What a blessing to have a video of his singing recently. He didn't seem to want to do it at first, but it was fabulous!

I had forgotten all about the "Strut" name! I was able to participate in some of those family prayers too. Good memories.

I'm sorry that you have to go thru this. I'll be keeping the family in my prayers. See you on Wed.

Dave said...

Sweet memories blog each of you (also Sunny & Holly) have posted. The stories and tender mercies that have accompanied this event have touched us all. How we are so blessed. How grateful we must be for the love.

Angie said...

What a wonderful Grandpa. I love all the things you said about him. That was really nice.

Michelle Cherrington said...

What a sweet tribute to your Grandfather. That's great you got that video of him. Hope you have a safe trip and are doing well.

Holly said...

Perfect. Everything. I remember all those things too. He really was a funny nice loving and good grandpa, wasn't he? I am so thankful that you made that amazing video montage for the funeral. Thanks to all those above that have left such kind remarks on our blogs. Your prayers are felt!